Today’s post is going to be a review of products from my most recent haul, all of which are from the drugstore brand Rimmel London. I stopped into a Walgreens Pharmacy I don’t normally go to on a whim, and *choir of angels* discovered pretty much their ENTIRE Rimmel display was on clearance making this already affordable brand even cheaper. I love trying inexpensive products in hopes of finding new “holy grail” products to add to my collection, so I basically just grabbed whatever they had left that sounded potentially useful.
The products included in today’s haul are:
- Magnif’eyes Shadow Eyeshadow Contouring Palette in Keep Calm and Wear Gold
- Scandaleyes XX-treme Mascara in extreme black
- Gentle Eye Make Up Remover
- The Only 1 Lipstick in Ain’t no other and 90’s Baby!
- Provocalips 16HR Kiss Proof Lip Colour in Make your move, Kiss fatal, and Play with fire
- Match Perfection Foundation in classic ivory
- Match Perfection Concealer in fair
- Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation in light porcelain
- Clean Finish Foundation in Ivory
- Rimmel BB Cream in light medium
Overall, there weren’t any face products in this haul I absolutely hated. Two of the five products I felt kind of meh about, so i’ll start with those.
- The concealer didn’t do much for me coverage wise, and the staying power just wasn’t there either in my opinion. I don’t expect industrial strength coverage from a concealer that typically costs about $5.99, but there are concealers in the same price range that gave me better results. Howeverrr, since this product is relatively lightweight it might be useful over a tinted moisturizer or BB cream.
- The BB cream just did not work with my skin unfortunately. It looked great when I applied it, and it gave me light coverage that evened out my skin tone without the look and feel of a full on foundation, which is something I seek out days I just don’t have time to do my makeup. Sadly, within about 4-5 hours my face was a hot greasy mess, which is not usual for me, despite the fact I set the BB cream with powder and setting spray. I will probably keep it and see if it works mixed in with another product.
All of the foundations I purchased all worked really well for me, which is awesome. If you are like me and end up gradually more and more tan throughout the summer, and find your foundation shade changing often, these are a nice affordable option that won’t hurt your bank account.
- My favorite foundation of the 3 I tried is probably the Stay Matte. It provides nice coverage, and I personally like the way it dries down to almost a cream powder type finish. The most common complaint I’ve heard from others about this formula is that it looks cakey, and I can kind of see it, but it’s not cakey to the extent it steered me away from this product.
- My second favorite is the Clean Finish foundation. This has become my new favorite lightweight summer foundation for daily use, like if i’m just going to run errands or whatever. My one complaint about this foundation is that it will oxidize and it will be noticeable, so I just buy a shade lighter than what I need. For literally $3.97 at Walmart, I can work around the oxidation.
- Lastly, the Match Perfection foundation is also a nice affordable foundation. I put it last because there was nothing particularly magical about it, and there is kind of a perfume-y scent to it that I don’t love, but overall for the price I’m not mad at it.
Unfortunately I don’t have a ton of positive things to say about the eye products I picked up. I will say the makeup remover works pretty well, and I catch it on sale a lot at Walgreens for under $3.00, so I think it is worth picking up for that price. The mascara to me was a little too goopy and messy for me, I’m just not a fan of the giant applicator.
The Magnif’eyes shadow palette was also a bit of a miss in my opinion. I’ve read a lot of positive reviews on these palettes, and was super excited when I found this one on clearance for $2.99 when they are regularly around $7.00, but sadly even for $2.99 I don’t know how much use I will get out of this product. The shadows are a bit patchy, and the shimmer shades lack pigmentation, so I don’t feel confident about how they would hold up throughout the day. The palette I picked up is the Keep Calm and Wear Gold, and finger swatches are below.
Ending on a positive note, I really enjoyed all of these lip products. The Provocalips are a 2 step long-wear lipstick, and they dry down to be not quite matte but not quite glossy. To achieve a more matte liquid lipstick type look, a little bit of translucent powder does the job. These are a little bit sticky, but in my opinion it’s nothing unbearable, and they really do hold up very well for the price. The red shade has actually become my go to red lipstick just because i’m confident it won’t end up all over my face. The Only 1 lipsticks are also very nice, and I definitely want to purchase more. The colors are nice, they have decent staying power for a regular lipstick, and they actually feel somewhat hydrating on the lips. Swatches will be below.
Overall, I definitely ended up with more good products than bad, and look forward to trying more makeup from this brand, especially their new Stay Matte Liquid Lip Colour.
What are some of your favorite/least favorite Rimmel products? Let me know in the comments!
Follow me on Instagram: @nalbeauty
Contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org